Tools of a Fiction Writer
The following is per what I so far have noted to be the tools of a fiction writer:
- Time shifts
This is a common one. For example a new chapter starts one month later on the story. It can also be indirectly or directly communicated.
- Point of view shifts
For example it is first from the viewpoint of Joe Blow and then next paragraph it goes to Bill the bad guy.
- Parallel stories
This is also common. For example a love story inside the adventure story. But don't make it too complex by having too many stories running at the same time.
- Parallel ideas
For example something common is described but which then also communicates something to the reader.
This is a tool used to communicate indirectly an idea to the reader. Some item or something is symbolizing something. This can be picked up by the reader which the writer did not intend to. An example would be that the ring in "Lord of the Rings" is symbolizing the technical advancement of mankind - something that could be said to be seemingly good but later gets the effect on self.
- Prologue / Epilogue
Something happening before or after the story itself but which is good to give the full message of the novel.
Comments powered by Disqus
- PDO vs MySQLi speed comparison
- Installing Apache Cassandra with PHP 7 on Ubuntu 16.04
- Annual report number 11 + 12: My Success
- Git with GitHub the Simple Way
- Annual report number 9 + 10: My Success
- Annual report number 8: My Success
- Guide: WordPress with Maximum Performance and Speed
- How to load WordPress in a few milliseconds using Redis
- Maximize the Link Juice of your Infographic with the use of the Canonical HTTP Header
- Why I recommend CloudFlare and why you should try it too