GoogleBot ate my bandwidth!
Yesterday I got an automatic e-mail from my web host that this site has consumed 80% of the bandwidth.
I was thinking that it was very stange, it is just in the beginning of the month and I don't get so many visitors. My bandwidth is on 2 GB.
I checked the my statcounter but no increase in visitors. Hmmm. I checked in AW Stats and there I see that 1,6 GB was used in the last days coming from one IP. And it is not a SE spider.
Ok I go and use the IP look-up in statcounter but that IP was not recorded ...
I go to DNSstuff.com to check who is this IP and I find some kind of company in the US ...
I checked the IPs of some sites and found out that my site AddURL-Free.com has the same IP, so this is the IP of the servers of the hosting company.
After a moment of figuring I put two and two together I came to the conclusion that Google has been spidering the ODP section of addurl-free.com like crazy and I had a RSS feed there from this site that displayed 8 items on each subpage. So the spidering only costed addurl-free.com about 50 MB but the generation of the RSS feed costed this site 1,6 GB. I have now turned that off.
I have sent an e-mail to my hosting company to see how to solve this, perhaps I will have to upgrade again so that I have 5 GB.
So it could happen that this site goes down for a while "bandwidth limit exceeded" but I hope not.
Anyway I should see it from the good side, I leared that RSS feed consumes bandwidth.
Comments powered by Disqus
- Installing Apache Cassandra with PHP 7 on Ubuntu 16.04
- Annual report number 11 + 12: My Success
- Git with GitHub the Simple Way
- Annual report number 9 + 10: My Success
- Annual report number 8: My Success
- Guide: WordPress with Maximum Performance and Speed
- How to load WordPress in a few milliseconds using Redis
- Maximize the Link Juice of your Infographic with the use of the Canonical HTTP Header
- Why I recommend CloudFlare and why you should try it too
- Annual report number 7: My Success