Fighting the War Against Web Site Spam Bots
The last days I have been fighting in the war against the latest spam bot soldiers like a maniac.
I own and manage over 70 web sites. This includes different forums, directories, blogs, topsites, article submission sites and you name it.
Very recently there is a new wave of spam. The default captcha for vBulletin is now not working against spam bots, also not the submission rules for the PHP Link Directory.
After winning a few combats I can now finally rest, a little.
Here are some weapons I used to fight this spam war:
PHP Link Directory version 3 or above
Follow these instructions to stop getting spam: http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46424&postcount=13
Follow these instructions to delete if you got massive amount of spam: http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46308&postcount=1
vBulletin version 3.5 and up
Follow these instructions exactly: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1193538&postcount=28
vBulletin version 3.6 and up
Install this Enhanced Captcha Image Verification: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132482
Install the following plugins:
If you know how to do PHP programming I recommend you to completely disable and erase trackbacks (but not pingbacks). I did that but I am afraid I don't remember how I did.
Aardvark Topsites PHP
See this post: https://www.jimwestergren.com/stop-the-topsites-spam/
This article is going to be regularly updated with the latest weapons in this war, feel welcome to bookmark it.
Comments powered by Disqus
- Installing Apache Cassandra with PHP 7 on Ubuntu 16.04
- Annual report number 11 + 12: My Success
- Git with GitHub the Simple Way
- Annual report number 9 + 10: My Success
- Annual report number 8: My Success
- Guide: WordPress with Maximum Performance and Speed
- How to load WordPress in a few milliseconds using Redis
- Maximize the Link Juice of your Infographic with the use of the Canonical HTTP Header
- Why I recommend CloudFlare and why you should try it too
- Annual report number 7: My Success