Link baiting (or linkbaiting) is the latest buzz word in the SEO world and has come to be the preferred way to natural link building.
It means to create something that naturally attract backlinks for your web page by getting people to talk about it, discussing it on forums, blogging about i, posting it on del.icio.us/Furl/Digg/Shoutwire and linking to it from their sites. It also attracts a lot of visitors.
Here is a list of ideas:
- Make a valuable resource (lists, special reports, history of, how to, etc.)
- Interview (e-mail/phone) prominent people and publish it.
- Build a useful tool
- Write an interesting article
- Run a newsworthy ‘event’ such as a contest
- Test something new that has not been done before
- Be the first in doing something on the internet
- Write something controversial
- Be the first to write the latest news in your niche
- Be the first to expose a scammer
- Disagree with an authority
- Write some funny humor
- Make an interesting picture
- Be the first to research and document something
- Make a theme, plugin or piece of software
- Make a tool that others can put on their sites but that links to you
- Make a joke about a known person
- Make a resource that is just in time for a major event
- Write an outrageous theory and back it up with logics
- Write useful comments on something that is happening
- Give something valuable for free
- Coin a new acronym in your niche and get people to talk about it
- Become an expert in your niche and write valuable information
Useful resources on Link Baiting (many of the tips above taken from here):
- Case Study from SEJ, 1,960 links during one month for running a contest
- Link Bait Ideas thread on SEO Refugee
- Linkbaiting for Fun & Profit
- How To Write Linkbait
Please comment if you have more info on link bait.